Immigration Update

UK immigration changes which took effect in April 2011 have altered the process for employers looking to sponsor migrants on Tier 2 visas. They are now even more complicated.

So far, in April, May and June 2011 the total number of Certificates approved by the UK Border Agency has been less than the monthly quota. So, this route is a viable one, once the employer is prepared to take the extra step. The fact that the number of sponsorships issued is lower than the number available seems to us to demonstrate how convoluted this process is.

The limit of Tier 2 applications is now set on a monthly basis. In order for a UK employer to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship for a new position, an application first needs to be made to the UK Border Agency, once the employer has identified the individual they wish to sponsor.

The UK Border Agency has a set quota of applications it can approve each month. Where the total number of applications in a month exceeds the monthly quota, the UK Border Agency ranks them according to a basic points test on salary and qualifications etc.

Once the employer is given permission to sponsor the migrant, then a Certificate of Sponsorship is issued and the migrant applies for a Tier 2 visa in the normal manner.

There are exceptions to the monthly quota – those being sponsored through Intra Company Transfers, migrants already working in the UK etc.

These changes do not affect migrants looking to work in the UK on Ancestry visas nor Youth Mobility Scheme visas which are now only available to citizens of Australia, Canada, Japan and New Zealand.

The Post Study Work visa still exists but it is earmarked to be abolished by
April 2012.

Please note that the general information contained in this post s provided free and for information purposes only. Whilst we believe that the contents of the e-mail are accurate GAAPS doesn’t accept any responsibility for loss arising from reliance upon it.  GAAPS does not provide advice on immigration matters. For advice about specific cases you should seek advice from your immigration adviser.
The above information was provided to us by Tim McMahon (the director of Common Wealth Immigration).

Search for Actuarial Jobs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s